Monday, May 30, 2005

A Very Rich Culture

I just got back from a very enriching trip. That's why I haven't posted anything in the last couple of weeks... first because Vanessa (my girlfriend) was visiting me, and second because we went to Mexico... so I was kind of busy. This trip had a big impact on me... obviously I was very happy because I got to share it with the person I love... but also because I remembered and learned a lot of things about my history. I've always liked math and natural sciences but I've always hated classes like government, history, etc. Therefore it's no surprise that I don't know much about Mexico's history. Now I regret not paying much attention in history class when I was in highschool, but anyways, that's not the point. I'm ashamed to say that at age 24, this was the first time I went to two of the most important places in Mexico (history wise)... the place where the great Tenochtitlan was founded and the Chapultepec Castle. I kept trying to remember as much as I could in order to explain some things to Vanessa, but it was more like I was another tourist. We were both completely amazed with what we saw. However... there were a few things that really disturbed me. First, I just can't believe that in such important historical places in Mexico, there are no explanations or signs in english for tourists!!. One of the things Mexicans can be really proud of, and probably the most important one, is our culture. It's just unbelievable that in order for tourists to really enjoy such visits, they have to go with a person who can translate every single thing for them. Second, I can't believe that right between the offices where the president of Mexico, and the governor of the state of Mexico work, there are so many people on strike, or selling little things ilegally on the streets... only in Mexico!!!.. anyways. Third, I'm really dissapointed that most of what once was Tenochtitlan is now buried underground. Eventhough the places that were built above this prehispanic city are also part of Mexico's history, I think it would be more important to try to recover as much as possible of the Aztecs's city rather than keeping a cathedral, for example, that the Spaniords built. Stupid Spaniords... no wonder why in Mexico we have a lot of jokes against them haha. Anyways... not everything was bad... Vanessa and I really enjoyed this part of the trip, and it also helped me remember where I come from. If you are Mexican, you probably don't understand why this was so "new" to me, and you probably think I'm like one of those hippies selling artesanias (handmade art like necklaces, pottery, etc) at Plaza Coyoacan. I guess we have to live outside of our country to start appreciating things that we take for granted most of the time. If you are not Mexican, and you haven't been to Mexico, I recomend you to do it. We might not be one of the most powerful countries, we might not have the biggest malls, we might not have the newest technology, etc... but we are a very rich culture.

2 Comments:

At 12:37 PM, Blogger quack said...

I will check with your History teachers whether you were a good student or not, because in the Chapultepec Castle you really looked like a tourist.

 
At 6:47 PM, Blogger Tonio Corona said...

I'm sure they won't remember me... and if one of them does... he or she won't have too many nice things to say about me =/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home